We have already talked about this Slicer before, now come to the version: Cura 3.6. In the Blog you will find a description of the software ( Cura ), a description of the last Big Update ( Cura 3.0 ) and our famous Cura 3.0 Guide, divided into 4 articles, where this software is explained in detail. This guides is one of the most read articles of the blog, and continues to be very successful.
- Installation and creation of printers, materials and profiles
- The working area
- Print settings
- Special modes and some little tricks
For those who don’t know it yet, Cura is a free and easy to use slicer for both beginners and professionals of Ultimaker. Undeniably the most widely used software for preparing models for 3D printing.
As anticipated, Ultimaker has released a new version of the software for Windows, MacOS and Linux users. Cura 3.6. This new version offers new slicing features, and some small news also for users. Below I’ll tell you about the most significant updates. If you are not satisfied and you want the full list of release 3.6 just go to the download page and select: Release Notes
Here are the updates!
Cura 3.6 News
- New Gyroid filling: a new type of filling that alternates between each layer, thus creating an even distribution of forces within the print in each direction. It also promises to reduce material usage and print duration.
- The Brim also for the support: it is finally possible to generate a Brim (if you do not know what is this article recommend) if you use the support. This option will generate a larger area attached to the printing plate and thus make the media more stable. Excellent modification, especially for the use of shaft supports, so thin and developed in height. These were often too fragile, and poorly attached to the bed. This change definitely improves the situation.
- Cooling Fan RPM Regulator: Now you can specify which cooling fan to use if your printer has more than one fan. This new option can be found in the machine settings in the Extruder tab.
- Refactored Slicing Engine: Structural changes have been made to the software structure. All of this translates into a more verifiable code and results in a more verifiable, faster and leaner way. This will also facilitate future developments.
- New Core CC Red 0.6. The new CC 0.6 print core is selectable when Ultimaker S5 profile is active. This print core is optimized for use with abrasive and composite materials.
Ultimaker User Experience
Improvements have also been made in the user experience.
- The Marketplace: Interesting news for professional users: Ultimaker has formed alliances with professional materials manufacturers. As a result, the company has enhanced Cura 3.6 so that users can manage plug-ins and material profiles. Then it became possible to download the profiles of the 3D print materials directly from the manufacturers themselves. To name a few, for example, BASF, DuPont, DSM, Clariant, and Owens Corning. Each expert tested their own profile to work with Ultimaker hardware. Instead of using the
- Firmware Check: The firmware update check code has been tested and improved to provide more reliable update notifications. It now includes Ultimaker S5, so getting the latest firmware and Cura Connect features will be easier.
- Turn on/off full screen mode: Full screen mode has become easier to use and it’s convenient to switch between keyboard shortcuts. Or if not via the menu: View.
Cura 3.6 Third party machine supports
Here the part that interests the majority of us, more compatibility with printers not Ultimaker.
- Display file name and level: It has been added, with command Gcode M117 the possibility to see on the display some more info. To be precise we could have real time information about the file name and the number of layers. If your printer has a display this option is definitely very useful.
- New entries between supported printers: Cura 3.6 adds new profiles for Anycubic 4MAx and Tizyx K25.
- Creality Ender-3 Correction: the printing area for this machine has been corrected and brought to 235 x 235 mm, the real area. There has also been a correction in the startup sequence and a better position of the printhead when prints are deleted or completed.
These are the major innovations of this new version. It is possible to update to the latest version directly from the Cura program, but I will also leave you the link to the site:
I recommend that you always make updates, because there are always improvements, even hidden ones, that make this software more stable and performing.